Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weather

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Its a cold place in the winter - its in Canada! So why are all of us so surprised every year when it gets cold? Now, we just came through a particularly nasty cold spell that had weather people quoting windchills with some pretty terrible sounding numbers. School buses didn't run and many rural schools cancelled classes for safety reasons. And I have to admit that I was a little grouchy about this because my dear husband had the opportunity for some PD time in Arizona - the exact 4 days of the worst cold. But in reality, I live and work in very warm buildings with good furnaces. We have a dependable car that I drove into a garage at the end of the day and on those cold nights, I plugged it in so that it started right up in the morning. Really, the effect the cold had on my life was much more of an inconvenience than a hardship so why all the whining? I'm not going to do that next time its so so cold. From now on I am going to be thankful for the things that keep me and my loved ones warm and for the beautiful blue skies and snow covered trees that sparkle in the sun on those frosty days.

No comments: