Friday, March 7, 2014

Canada Reads

I was raised in Iowa but at 20 moved to Canada with my brand new husband (Wow! were we young!) and have lived here for 38 years.  In 2003 I became a citizen but had been a Canadian for much longer. I belong north of the 49th.  Its had to explain but one example of why I love it up here is Canada Reads; the yearly CBC contest where well known Canadians debate five Canadian novels. In the end one is chosen as the story all Canadians should read. The book that is voted off the island each day is announced on the CBC National News.  National News!  And a lot of Canadians care. I can check with friends across the country if they are planning to read The Orenda  and ask them what they thought of the debate.  I guess its the unifying factor of national broadcasting. But it is also the fact that as a country, the value of the arts, the worth of exploring difficult topics through fiction is accepted and appreciated.

No comments: