Saturday, March 22, 2014

Little Reader



My son sent me this picture of Ollie reading Little Bear to himself and Ryan remembered that Little Bear was one of his first independent reads too.  Its so exciting when you can leave behind the predictable readers at school (there are lots of good ones but they are still readers) and start to pick your own books from the library! Not just books you want someone to read to you but books you can read to yourself.  For all of us that love reading this is such an exciting step.

Little Bear to Magic Tree House to Geronimo Stilton to maybe the Joads!  I hope Ollie finds John Steinbeck someday.    

I have read a lot of books in my life and most of them have come from a public library. I have vague recollections of picking Dr. Seuss books from a small library when I was young.  I read almost every books in the small libraries at the back of my classrooms and I remember checking out books from a surprisingly good selection the town library in Boyden.  I read Arthur Haily's Airport  and  Hotel when I was in Seventh Grade!  I'm sure the librarian and my mom didn't know the steamy scenes in those books. 

I know Ryan and his family use their town's library a lot and that often they have to limit the number of books and DVDs that leave with them. Whatever he picks, I hope Ollie gets to love the life in books as much as his dad.  A legacy worth passing on.

No comments: